A fantastic recipe for fettuccine alfredo is one of those things that you simply must have in your recipe box. This was one of the first things I taught the children when I was teaching cookery classes to children years ago. The majority of children in the vicinity are enamored with alfredo sauce! You won’t ever buy canned alfredo sauce again since making your own is so simple!
Simple ingredients like butter, parmesan cheese, garlic, heavy cream, and salt are used to make this homemade alfredo sauce. This 5-ingredient alfredo sauce is really simple to make!
You can pour this homemade alfredo sauce over hot, fresh pasta or toss it with the pasta so it absorbs all of the sauce. Fresh, chilled fettuccine noodles taste so much better, which is why I love to use them. You can start with 12 ounces of fettuccine and combine the sauce with less than a pound of pasta if you want the fettuccine alfredo to be a bit more “saucy.”
6 Tips for Preparing the ULTIMATE FETTUCCINE ALFREDO
- Fill a large saucepan with water and bring it to a boil. To season the pasta, add salt to the water. After it reaches a boiling point, add the pasta and cook it as directed on the package.
- Saute the butter and garlic together for one to two minutes, or until the garlic is softened.
- To thicken, add the heavy cream and boil over medium-high heat for approximately five minutes. To taste, add more salt and pepper. When the mixture is smooth, add half of the parmesan cheese and whisk thoroughly.
- Retain a little pasta water. You can use the flavorful pasta water to thin out the sauce.
- Add half of the parmesan cheese and toss the fettuccine pasta with the alfredo sauce. After tossing, sprinkle the leftover Parmesan cheese on top. Should pasta water be needed to thin it out, add a bit of it.
- If preferred, garnish with Italian parsley.
How to Make This Fettuccine Alfredo Recipe
- spatula set
- measuring cups and spoons
- 1 lb Fettuccine Pasta
- 6 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Garlic Clove (minced)
- 1 1/2 cups Heavy Cream
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/4 cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Italian Parsley (optional)
- In a large pot, heat water over high heat until boiling. Add salt to season the water. Once it is boiling, add fettuccine and cook according to package instructions.
- In a large skillet or pan, heat butter over medium heat. Add minced garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in heavy cream.
- Let heavy cream reduce and cook for 5 to 8 minutes. Add half of the parmesan cheese to the mixture and whisk well until smooth. Keep over heat and whisk well until cheese is melted.
- Save some pasta water. The pasta water is full of flavor and can be used to thin out the sauce.
- Toss alfredo sauce with fettuccine pasta and add half of the parmesan cheese. Once it is tossed, garnish with the remaining parmesan cheese. Add a little pasta water if it needs to be thinned out.
- Garnish with Italian parsley, if so desired.
- Use real parmesan cheese, which is refrigerated.
- If you like it to be more “saucy”, you may use less than 1 lb. of fettuccine pasta.
- Leftover pasta water may be used to thin out pasta sauce.