In the world of pasta, there are few combinations as timeless and tantalizing as the classic Caprese trio—fresh mozzarella, succulent grape tomatoes, and fragrant basil. The marriage of these simple yet exquisite ingredients has long been celebrated in salads and on pizzas, but today we embark on a culinary adventure that takes the beloved Caprese flavors to new heights: Creamy Caprese Pasta.
Picture this: strands of al dente pasta generously coated in a velvety, dreamy sauce that marries the richness of fresh mozzarella with the burst of sweetness from grape tomatoes and the aromatic allure of basil ribbons. The result is a symphony of textures and flavors that dance on your taste buds, creating a dish that is not just a meal but a celebration of the culinary arts.
How to Make This Creamy Caprese Pasta
- 1 pound whole wheat pasta, noodles such as penne work best
- 1 cup of your favorite pasta/tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup heavy cream or half and half
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese + more for garnish
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into cubes
- 1 pint of grape tomatoes, I cut some in half and left some whole
- 1 bunch of fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Boil water and cook pasta according to directions.
- While pasta is cooking, heat tomato sauce over low heat in a large saucepan. Once warm, stir in heavy cream and grated parmesan. Once pasta is done cooking, drain and dump into the sauce, mixing to coat and turning off heat. Fold in mozzarella cubes and tomatoes, then chop 3-4 fresh basil leaves and add them in too. Once combined, spray a baking dish with non-stick spray and pour the entire pasta mixture into the dish. Top with fresh mozzarella rounds. Bake for 25 minutes, or until cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Top with additional fresh basil and grated cheese. Serve with garlic bread. You can also add in chicken, steak or seafood for some protein.